story

Husband’s Unexplainable Infection Caused by Mold in Reusable Water Bottle

A wife shared her story to spread the word about how her husband had been battling infections with no known reason why. It left his doctors baffled until recently when she was told to go home and examine his water bottle.

Turns out, this dirty fungus made it’s home in the seal of his Yeti cup. His wife claims she had no idea the seals were even removable. But when she did remove it, she made a gross discovery.

Mold. We have all seen it before. It festers in our bathrooms and basements, wherever water + moisture mix. We also know that mold is not good for us and more and more, stories are making their way into the news with how this nasty fungus can really harm our health.

Photo Credit: Facebook (Veronica Lucas)

Always check your reusable cups! Those get pretty nasty and mold can easily grow in the crevices. Doctors have been noticing patients getting unexplainable infections. If you’ve recently had an infection and were put on antibiotics that didn’t help any — check your bottles for mold!

Photo Credit: Google (for illustration purposes only)

Sometimes lids and seals don’t seem removable. Even if it seems you might break the cup by removing the seal… put some muscle into it and get that plastic off! But, that’s not always the case. Almost all bottles that have a lid have a removable seal.

As what the wife narrated, “We attempted to remove the seals from the first couple of cups we bought. They were so snug that we honestly thought they would break if we forced it. So, we assumed they were permanently attached. Our cups never came with instructions.”

Photo Credit: Google (for illustration purposes only)

After this story broke, Veronica Lucas was contacted by others with the same concern. And some had also been battling infections with no underlying reason. She had even put the cups in the dishwasher.
Or washed by hand every single day. It didn’t matter! Learn from this couple. Check all your drinkware — and especially if it has a lid. It is a tedious task, no doubt. But it’s not worth the health implications mold can bring.

Photo Credit: Google (for illustration purposes only)

Some people are more sensitive to mold than others. According to CDC, “molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation.” And if you have a mold allergy, your symptoms will be more severe. Also, “Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold.”

Photo Credit: Google (for illustration purposes only)

Mold is everywhere in our environment; both indoors and outdoors. Indoors it can grow on wallpaper, carpet, and basements to name a few. Outside, it is found in grass and wooded areas. Just think of the mold that grows on your deck in your backyard! You can control mold from growing inside your reusable drinkware, and you can also control it from growing in your home.  You do have to be vigilant about this. For example, if you ever get water in your basement, it is imperative you clean it up right away. And have proper ventilation when cooking and taking a shower. And always wipe the shower down afterward.

Photo Credit: Google (for illustration purposes only)

When it comes to the health of you and your loved ones, you can never be too safe. So take all preventive steps to ensure you keep mold at bay, like changing your shower liner, using dehumidifiers, fans, and open windows to help reduce the moisture in your home.

Like/Follow us on Facebook page, NEWSTHRILLA, for more stories.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *