how to's

A Complete Guide On How To Start Applying For Valid IDs—PART 2

This is the PART 2 guide on how to fill up your wallet with important identification. We will continue with the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth), the Home Development Mutual Fund (HDMF/Pag-IBIG), the UMID (Unified Multi-Purpose ID), and, if you’re really smart and passed a board exam or two, a PRC (Philippine Regulatory Commission) ID.

For the first set of above subject title, kindly follow this link.


TYPE: Secondary ID

GOVERNMENT UNIT: Philippine Health Insurance Corp.

VALIDITY: Lifetime


TOTAL TIME: 10-15 minutes if no queue

One of the key prerequisites to getting a job in the Philippines is your very own PhilHealth Number and ID card.

To get a PhilHealth Number and ID, head to the nearest PhilHealth branch, fill up an application form, and get your Member Data Record (MDR) absolutely for FREE! All you need is your Postal ID and you’re good to go!

To get an ID, however, you need to be either already employed with a company, or to make a voluntary contribution of PHP 600.

Photo Credit: Facebook / Crap About Filipinos


TYPE: Secondary ID

GOVERNMENT UNIT: Home Development Mutual Fund

VALIDITY: Lifetime


TOTAL TIME: 1-2 months

Another key prerequisite to getting a job in the Philippines is to get yourself a Pag-IBIG number and ID.

A very well-detailed walk through is already provided for you at the HDMF website itself.

Once you’re done with that, head on over to the nearest Pag-IBIG branch with your reference number, pay the PHP 100 fee at the cashier, then have your photo and biometrics taken.

You will be advised when you should come back to get your ID. Unfortunately, it won’t be delivered. You’d have to get it yourself.


Photo Credit: Facebook / Crap About Filipinos


TYPE: Primary ID

GOVERNMENT UNIT: Social Security Service (SSS)

VALIDITY: Lifetime

TOTAL COST: Free (for the first ID)

TOTAL TIME: 40-60 business days

Aside form TIN, PhilHealth, and Pag-IBIG numbers, a Social Security Number (SSN) is also required to gain employment in the Philippines.

Head to the nearest SSS office with two (2) valid IDs and a copy of your birth certificate, fill out the appropriate form/s, and submit them to the respective counters.

  1. Lines are heavy, and this process may take one whole day.
  2. Contributions may be required before UMID issuance.
  3. If you have an existing SSS ID, they might replace it with a UMID, sometimes for free, if enough contributions are made.

Photo Credit: Facebook / Crap About Filipinos


TYPE: Primary ID

GOVERNMENT UNIT: Philippine Regulatory Commission

VALIDITY: 3 years

TOTAL COST: PHP 450 (for renewal)

TOTAL TIME: 7-10 business days

If you are registered and licensed under the Philippine Regulatory Commission, you should already be issued a PRC ID.

This ID is only available for the following vocations, professions, and/or graduates.

Note: Due to CPD unit costs, renewals may be extremely costly.

Photo Credit: Facebook / Crap About Filipinos


TYPE: Primary ID

GOVERNMENT UNIT: Land Transportation Office (LTO)

VALIDITY: 5 years

TOTAL COST: PHP 650 (renewal) to PHP 850 (new)

TOTAL TIME: Same day process

As with all other countries, a driver’s license is required to operate a motor vehicle of any kind.

To get a regular Non-Professional license, one would first need to have to apply for a Student’s Permit (PHP 450), and would need to wait at least one month.

A medical exam and certificate issued by ANY licensed physician, certifying you are physically and mentally fit to drive is needed, so be sure to get those done before applying for a non-pro license.

With all those done, fill up the application form and submit them to the appropriate counters at any LTO branch nationwide.

Photo Credit: Facebook / Crap About Filipinos


TYPE: Primary ID

GOVERNMENT UNIT: Department of Foreign Affairs

VALIDITY: 10 years

TOTAL COST: PHP 950 to PHP 1,200

TOTAL TIME: 1-2 months before claiming

A passport is the absolute form of identification, whether inside or outside the Philippines.

To get a Passport, you’d need the following:

  1. Confirmed Appearance Appointment
  2. Fully-filled up application form.
  3. Valid Government-issued ID with one (1) copy. Acceptable: UMID / Driver’s License / PRC ID / Current Passport

For more info: Visit the DFA’s Passport or Consular Affairs website.

Photo Credit: Facebook / Crap About Filipinos

Please dedicate a couple months or so of your life in waiting time, both in queues, and in actual waiting at home for the delivery guys to arrive.

This guide has been originally posted in Crap About Filipinos page so keep tabs on them to be able to see any and all updates to the post and for additional information.

The said page is NOT affiliated in any way, shape, or form to the Philippine Government, its NGOs, and any and all government and/or state subsidiaries. Kindly refer to the respective government body/ies for clarifications, etc.

SOURCE: Crap About Filipinos

Like/Follow our Facebook page for more stories.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *